Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Chocolate Salted Caramel Popcorn

One of my favorite Christmas traditions with my family is that my Mom always gives me dark chocolate Moose Munch in my stocking. Yes, I'm 24 and my Mom still gives me a stocking, and let's face it - I'm not letting go of that goodness anytime soon.


What's not to love about combining delicious, crunchy, salty, sweet, caramel covered popcorn and drizzling it in smooth dark chocolate? Yeah, nothing.

I've been craving chocolate all week long (clearly nothing new, hence the name of this blog), and have been torturing myself perusing the Food and Drink section of Pinterest for new ideas and stumbled across this recipe.


One of my girlfriends and I were headed to an engagement party this past weekend and I had the brilliant idea of adding something delicious and homemade to our simple wine gift. Yes, Sarah, complicate things, please. You know what? I'm glad I did, because I'm so pumped about how this came out I can't even be mad about the time spent making it.

For someone who has never in her life attempted homemade, stovetop popcorn and has an irrational fear of sudden loud noises - this process was a bit intimidating.


Oh did I mention I've also never made caramel before, and have been warned by a number of people how easy it is to screw up? Great, just great.

Guess what? I did both and lived to tell you about it. Lucky for you, neither were nearly as scary as I thought. I know, you're secretly shaking your head at me thinking this chick is out of her tree.


DISCLAIMER: I dare you to try and make this and not snack throughout the process. Honestly, I'm surprised there was anything left to package up for the party. It's so poppable and yummy.


Ingredients
Caramel Popcorn
I used this recipe for stove top popcorn, but doubled it. Yes, I needed a recipe for that, and yes, I actually counted out loud. Then used the caramel sauce from this recipe.
~15 cups popped popcorn
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

Other
1 Tbs sea salt
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 tsp vegetable oil

1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees
2. Prepare popcorn as directed, set aside in a large bowl
3. In a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt
4. Heat on medium, stirring occasionally
5. When bubbles begin to appear, cook for 5 more minutes without stirring
6. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda
7. Pour over popcorn and mix until coated
8. Spread mixture evenly onto two greased baking sheets
10. Sprinkle sea salt over caramel corn - use more or less as desired
9. Cook for 1 hour, turning every 15 minutes
10. Let caramel corn cool, and break apart
11. Using a double boiler or carefully microwaving in spurts, melt chocolate, stirring in vegetable oil when nearly completely melted
12. Drizzle melted chocolate over caramel corn, let cool until the chocolate has hardened

You could get creative with this - mix in additional toppings like M&Ms, nuts, pretzels, sprinkles - you name it!

Enjoy!


I like to consider myself slightly challenged when it comes to efficiently drizzling chocolate, so I use this method nearly every time. Place a sandwich sized plastic bag in a cup and fill with melted chocolate. Seal the bag and cut a small hole in the corner, gently squeezing the chocolate out as you go. Just be careful - the melted chocolate is hot! 

No comments:

Post a Comment