Monday, June 24, 2013

Running Survey

Heather over at Fit n' Cookies re-posted this fun little running survey the other day and I thought I'd take the plunge myself. Thanks for posting, Heather!

1.  On average how many races do you run a year?
I've only really been into races for the past few years, but I'd say 3.

2.  Head accessories, things you have to run with:  a hat, a visor, sunglasses, chapstick, sunscreen, head band, ponytail, braids, sweat band?
I always run with my hair in a ponytail, and on sunny days (especially for long runs) will wear a hat. 

3.  Where do your workouts come from?  A training plan, a coach, whatever you feel like doing that day or what your training partner is doing that day?
When I'm training for a race I'll have a training plan in place that I follow pretty religiously. I actually LOVE training plans, because it takes the pressure off of trying to think of a workout and makes me more likely to complete it. I can thank my type-A personality for that. When I'm not training for a race my workouts are much more variable and can range from a group class, to something I read on a blog or pinterest, to a run around town.

Snapshot of my Philly Marathon training plan

 4.  How many miles on average do you put on a pair of shoes?
Only in the past year or two have I started paying closer attention to mileage on shoes. I'd say I log about 400+ miles per pair, but start incorporating a new pair in around 300-350. Sarah [over at] OUaL shared her baller training log template early this year and I love it. I've made a few tweaks for myself, but overall I think it's a great resource for tracking mileage per shoe and overall miles logged. 

5.  Cell phone=  do you bring it with you on your run or leave it at home?
When I first started running I left it at home, but now typically have it with me. I don't listen to music when I run and use my Garmin for data so my phone is kind of dead weight, but I enjoy the safety net of having it.

6.  What was your last running related injury or have you been an injury free runner? 
I was lucky enough to be injury-free until a couple of months ago. Now currently battling knee issues and waiting patiently/working hard to get back out there.

 
7.  Is your current running goal about running a farther distance (adding more mileage) or getting faster or BOTH?!? 
Current goal is to just get back to running, but ultimately it will be getting faster and stronger. 

8.  Speedwork—->  at the track, on the treadmill, on the roads or never do it?
A mix, but primarily track or treadmill. 

9.  Stretching after a run:  hit the ground after a run and get stretching, stretch in the shower, stretch once you get to work/school, skip the stretching?
I would love to say anything to do with stretching right away but I'm notorious for not stretching and need to be better. 

10.  What was your reason(S) for starting to run?
I ran my first half marathon to benefit the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA) with their Team Challenge training program in Virginia, 2011. I was lucky enough to complete the program with a few close friends of mine and was totally hooked on running. It was an awesome experience. You can read more about my running story here.


Your turn! Answer one or a few of the questions. I'm going to toss in a couple of my own, just out of curiosity...

11. How do you track your training? (Excel, Daily Mile, Run Keeper, etc.)
I like excel for tracking mileage during marathon/half marathon training but love Daily Mile for the journal-like feel to track how I feel. I also use Garmin Connect if I want to refer back to pace data for runs. I kind of love running data. :)

12. How do you carry your cell or other gear with you on your runs? (Arm band, SPIbelt, etc.)
During the winter I love the convenience of jacket pockets. I've yet to find something comfortable and easy for summer running though - I feel like an arm band might be uncomfortable in heat?

No comments:

Post a Comment