Sunday, January 6, 2013

Icy Long Runs, Grilled Cheese & Hockey

Saturday afternoon Molly and I headed out for our first "long" run of half marathon training for Hyannis. Like many other Boston runners, we've found ourselves using the paths along the Charles river most often. They offer some solitude from the business of the city and the pedestrian pathways make it easier to get in longer distances without constant interruption.

After reading this article last week about mandatory snow removal from the paths I was confident heading into the run that we'd be in good shape. Lies.

In true New England fashion, a good chunk of our run was spent tip-toeing on ice, dodging snow banks and puddles and cheering whenever we found patches of cleared path. I would have taken a picture, but I was too afraid it would result in me flat on my face. Regardless, we got in a good 6 miles.

Betcha can't tell where most of the ice was.

Some early morning Twitter stalking led us to the Roxy's Grilled Cheese food truck post-run and stretch. Normal recovery food, right? Oops. Probably not, but you learn to take advantage when they're local.


Today, I woke up like a kid on Christmas morning to the BEST NEWS EVER.

Yes, I was sitting in my bed at 8am this morning
with my hockey jersey on.


HOCKEY IS BACK! For those of you that don't know, I'm only slightly obsessed with my hockey team. This winter has been absolutely brutal thus far with the lockout, and though I am bitter that we've had to wait so long, I could not be happier to have my boys back. Let's go Bruins!

This afternoon was an easy 3 miles with a couple friends, followed by a New Year's purge of my dresser and closet.

Does anyone have any suggestions on great places to donate running shoes in the Boston area?

2 comments:

  1. I'm a sucker for a good grilled cheese. Or a creamy tomato bisque with grilled cheese croutons. HEAVEN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've successfully made me hungry. Couldn't agree more!

      Delete