Tuesday, April 16, 2013

For Boston.

I had written a post for yesterday reflecting on the magic of the Boston Marathon, my experience as a spectator for the past couple of years, my love for this sport and my pride in this race and this city. Those thoughts seem lost and somewhat inappropriate given the circumstances.

The news of yesterday's tragic events at the finish line has left me speechless, angry, horrified, heartbroken and sad. All afternoon and evening yesterday I felt as though I were having an out of body experience. The incoming pour of texts and phone calls to see if I'm OK, if friends are OK. The stream of updates via Twitter and Facebook of angry commentary, fearful pleas for updates from those who may have been affected, and news with absolutely horrifying video and photos.

My heart is absolutely broken for those affected by these selfish, awful acts. For those runners who finished and had their celebrations cut short by bomb blasts, for those runners who didn't finish and were diverted from the finish line before it even came into sight, and for those who were in the area - runners, spectators, officials, volunteers and others showing their support, cheering and offering their assistance.

For most people, running the Boston Marathon is a dream you wait forever to live out. It has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember. Months and months of training, dedication, and often fundraising all play out in the experience of running that course and ultimately crossing that finish line. It's an experience that should be celebrated with pride, gratitude and happiness. I can't imagine being robbed of that experience by something like this.

My thoughts, my prayers and my heart go out to all of those affected by the events of yesterday. Thank you to those officials, volunteers and first responders who have worked tirelessly to help those in need and investigate the situation.

I love my city and I love this race. As a member of both the Boston and running communities, I'm confident that both are so much stronger than any evil that may be responsible for such awful circumstances. I hope that we can all find it in our hearts to forgive, to support each other and those that need it. Please pray, love, run or however you choose to express yourself, for Boston.



I'm choosing to let this fuel my love for this sport, this race and the people who make it possible, my appreciation for what an amazing support system I have, and my desire to run Boston 2014.

Just a handful of the Tweets that resonated from yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment