Monday, February 4, 2013

A Weekend Home

When I was applying to colleges (cringe) 7 years ago, I had  decided that I only wanted to seriously look at schools that were close enough to home that I could visit when I wanted but far enough away that I gained new experiences and felt independent. Bentley allowed me that freedom, as has staying in Boston post-graduation.

I'm very close with my family, and I love that about my life. I value their opinions, enjoy spending time with them and couldn't imagine things any other way. As a result, when I get the chance to escape the craziness of Boston for a weekend and head out to western Mass, I take it. This was one of those weekends.

It was filled with dinner, laughs and hugs with grandparents. Treadmill miles, car repairs, lunch with Mom and grocery shopping for Super Bowl snacks. Bruins hockey, watching my little sister get ready for a school dance and walks through the woods with my Dad, stepmom and puppy.

 

My weekends home are the definition of hectic, they always have been and always will be, whether I like it or not. From the minute I drive over the mountain and into the Pioneer Valley the rest of my time there will be spent doing something. It's both exciting and exhausting - before it even starts.


 

Having divorced parents means trying to spend time equally with both families. For me, it often means feeling guilty when I'm leaving one to go see the other, or when my time is cut short with them because I have somewhere else I need to be. Being home makes me feel both whole and happy, while at the same time feeling a little empty because I can never seem to manage my time well enough to make it all work.


The sisters and I before Anna's 1st Dwight Night dance.

Yes, I know I can't make everyone happy. Yes, I know they're just grateful to spend time with me. Yes, I know they love me regardless and understand that I can't do it all. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean I don't still feel bad that I can't be in 100 places at once. I'm working on it, it's a constant battle. Remember? I'm a people pleaser.

Lucky for me, being home always puts things in perspective. As busy as I am while I'm there, there are those moments that make you slow down, step away from everything else and just appreciate how lucky you are. I got a full hour and 45 minutes of that perspective on Sunday afternoon during my run.


Sometimes I forget that the elevation factor is slightly different at home.

Overall a great run and 3 weeks out from half marathon number one of 2013. I was happy with my pace, given that it was much hillier route than I've run in awhile. My legs were also tired from the 4.7 miles on the treadmill from Saturday and the 5 miles of walks through the woods with the pup.


Truthfully I didn't know if the long run would happen this weekend. After a failed attempt Saturday morning due to nearly negative temperatures and my hatred of the treadmill, I almost opted out. As always, I'm glad I went, if only for the peaceful time and the views.



How can you not appreciate places like this?




Like all of my whirlwind trips home, I was happy to get back to Boston last night. I was exhausted, but in the best way. I unpacked, rallied, and enjoyed the commercials, the blackout and, of course, Beyonce and Destiny's Child. I think there may have been a football game as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment